I actually don’t watch very much TV anymore. I used to have one show to watch just about every day of the week, including big reality shows like Survivor or American Idol. Now, I find it hard to keep up-to-date with so many shows, especially with Netflix putting out so many series, but I have a few that I record each week and catch up on each weekend. In the past year or two, I’ve also discovered the fun of binge-watching shows on Netflix. I saw this tag on CeCe’s channel ProblemsofaBookNerd, and thought it would be a nice change from talking about books.
1. Favourite shows?
My all-time favourites are Buffy the Vampire Slayer, The Addams Family and Boy Meets World, but I also like The Big Bang Theory, Dawson’s Creek, The Simpsons (although admittedly, the new seasons aren’t as good) and a few anime like Death Note, Black Butler and especially Clannad. I also loved House and Bones, which didn’t come to mind immediately since they are both over now.
2. Favourite genre?
I tend to watch fantasy, comedy, or drama.
3. Least favourite show?
South Park. I could never get into it, and I just don’t find it funny at all.
4. Most rewatched show/favourite show to binge watch?
Boy Meets World, Buffy, and Friends. I wouldn’t necessarily consider Friends one of my top favourite shows, but it’s a lot of fun to binge-watch. I’ve also been rewatching Degrassi The Next Generation.
5. Do you prefer watching things week-by-week or binge-watching?
At this point, binge-watching. My time during the week is limited, and I often find I’m so tired by the evening that I end up falling asleep when I sit down on the couch to watch TV. Instead, I either binge-watch online or PVR the shows and watch them over the weekend. I try to keep up with them week-by-week if they are recorded to save space, but sometimes it just doesn’t happen.
6. Favourite television characters?
- The Addams Family (most of the characters, but especially Morticia and Wednesday, although Wednesday in the New Addams Family and movies more than the original TV series)
- Willow, Tara, Oz and Spike from Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I love most of the characters, but those 4 are my favourites
- Shawn Hunter, Topanga Lawrence, and Mr. Feeny from Boy Meets World
- Pacey Whitter, Joey Potter and Jen Lindley from Dawson’s Creek
- Homer Simpson
- Phoebe Buffay from Friends
- Dr. House
- Dr. Brennan and Agent Booth from Bones
- Sheldon Cooper
7. Favourite television ships?
- Willow and Tara, but I also really liked Willow and Oz on Buffy
- Buffy and Spike. I know there are a lot of problems with their relationship, but I really liked them together
- Cory and Topanga on Boy Meets World
- Pacey and Joey on Dawson’s Creek
- Sheldon Cooper and Amy Farrah Fowler
- Gomez and Morticia Addams
8. Show you could never get into?
Family Guy and South Park
9. Show you fell out of love with?
Reality shows, mainly. I used to love Survivor but I got bored with it. I especially got frustrated with American Idol because the shows dragged out so long and I just didn’t have the time to commit to watching it. I also started to not really like many of the people they picked, especially when the top 2 contestants in season 11 were both country singers and I didn’t like either of them. That was the last season I watched.
10. Cancelled too soon?
Tru Calling! I still can’t believe they stopped making this show just a few episodes into season 2, and just when they started leading up to what seemed to be a bigger story arc. The show had such a great concept, and I wish they had at least finished the season before giving it up.
11. Guilty pleasure show?
Re-watching old favourites, including Disney channel shows like Lizze McGuire, Even Stevens, and That’s So Raven. I’m not sure if I’d consider Degrassi a guilty pleasure, but it definitely could be.
12. What are you currently watching?
- Hell’s Kitchen (the one reality show I haven’t gotten bored of yet)
- The Big Bang Theory and Young Sheldon
- The Simpsons
- Buffy and Angel (I’ve never seen most of Angel, so I’m watching the episodes of both together in the “correct” viewing order)
- Will and Grace (I never saw the complete original series, but the revival is a lot of fun)