I always find this kind of prompt very challenging for some reason. I guess I’ve never put too much thought into what kind of traits I’d look for in a sibling. I have an older brother and we get along very well, so it’s never really been something that’s crossed my mind. The only way I could really think of to tackle this prompt is to pick characters who had some kind of interesting hobby that I’d want to try, or a character who I thought I might get along with. It’s a bit tricky since I read quite a few books with unlikable characters (ie. thrillers), but I also read quite a few fantasy series with a wide range of characters to choose from. On the other hand, I don’t often find that I relate too well to fantasy characters because of the unusual circumstances they are in, so it’s a bit hard to imagine myself as their sibling either. I ended up looking through my Goodreads list of books I’ve read before, and picking a few characters that I thought I’d get along with very well.
Top 5 Wednesday is a meme created by Gingerreadslainey on Youtube, and is now hosted by Sam at ThoughtsOnTomes. The official GoodReads group with the weekly topics can be found here.
1) Violet Baudelaire from A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket – I could easily pick either Violet or Klaus for this, but I decided to give the slight edge to Violet because I think her interest in inventing things is so cool! I know nothing about creating the kinds of things she comes up with, and I’d love for her to teach me.
2) Jo March from Little Women by Louisa May Alcott – I’m much more similar in personality to Beth than Jo, but I think Jo and I could get along very well. I love her creativity and maybe she would have actually motivated to keep writing, especially if it was something she was open to doing together. I used to love writing stories but never ended up finishing any, so maybe Jo and I could work on them.
3) Pepper from Tweet Cute by Emma Lord – Pepper and her sister run a dessert blog together that just sounds like so much fun! I love desserts so I think it could be really cool to experiment and develop some new ideas. I also generally thought Pepper seemed like someone I could easily get along with, so the dessert blog is just an added bonus.
4) Julian Blackthorn from the Dark Artifices series by Cassandra Clare – Julian is such a great brother, although he has way too much on his shoulders! I love the entire Blackthorn family in general and I think any of them would make great siblings, but I think Julian could really use someone to help and support him. I also think we’d get along pretty well just personality-wise.
5) Simon from Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli – This was more of a random pick since it’s been so many years since I’ve last read this, although I’m intending to reread this book before the end of the year. I think Simon would be a great brother and/or friend because we share an interest in Harry Potter (and a love of Oreos), and I think he would be a lot of fun to hang out with.