I’m assuming this week’s prompt is referring to heroes and heroines from romance books since it’s February, but it didn’t really specify. I have a bit of a hard time in general with calling the main characters of romances heroes/heroines in general since I tend to associate those words with the more literal definition of someone who does something heroic. I can see where this might apply in some cases with romance, but in most cases it feels like a bit of a stretch to me. I’m still on the newer side to romance as a genre so I’m not really the most familiar with a lot of the popular hero/heroine characters. My mind automatically jumped to characters from classics instead! On top of that, I sometimes have a hard time remembering details of a lot of romance leads after I’ve finished the book, partly because I read a ton of books in general and partly because I find a lot of them tend to be that kind of blank-slate character meant for the reader to see themselves in. It took me a while to go back through the books that I’ve read and pull out some heroes and heroines that I genuinely remember liking and that felt a little more memorable or unique in some way! I tend to like books that have a bit of an unconventional romance, characters with witty banter, and those who show strong loyalty/devotion toward each other. I chose not to list specific reasons for each one because in most cases, my reasons are basically the same, but these are all heroes/heroines from romances or books with a heavy romantic plotline that I found particularly interesting. In some cases, I’ve even listed both characters in the relationship since I loved them both equally!
Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January of 2018. It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together.
1) Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth Bennett from Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
2) Jane Eyre from Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
3) Jo March from Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
4) Rhysand from the ACOTAR series by Sarah J. Maas
5) Leon from The Flatshare by Beth O’Leary
6) Carswell Thorne from Cress by Marissa Meyer
7) Don Tillman and Rosie Jarman from The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion
8) Olive and Ethan from The Unhoneymooners by Christina Lauren
9) Gavin Scott from The Bromance Book Club by Lyssa Kay Adams
10) Dani Brown and Zafir from Take a Hint, Dani Brown by Talia Hibbert