- My username “Abyssal Librarian” was given to me by my boyfriend in an attempt to create a character ID for a gaming character. He asked me how I would describe myself — a task which I always dread! After way too much time spent thinking about it, one of the only useful suggestions I came up with is my love of books. The “Abyssal” part was his suggestion based on my tendency to overthink (or read too deeply) into absolutely everything.
- I have a degree in Psychology, but I was often mistaken for an English major throughout University because of my habit of bringing books to read between classes. I sometimes had very long gaps (2-3 hours), so I used it as an excuse to read some of the classics that I’d always wanted to try but never got around to. I discovered some of my favourite books that way!
- When I was in the third grade, my best friend and I decided that when we grew up, we were going to start a company together to write and illustrate our own children’s books. We spent nearly every recess that year acting out scenarios to put into our story, writing pages and drawing pictures to go with them. Nearly 20 years later, neither of us are authors or illustrators…or have much ability to draw at all. Somehow I think that may have been a factor in our plans.
- My obsession with books/libraries has become an influence on other areas of my life. Every time my boyfriend and I start a new Minecraft world, one of our priorities is to build me a library. It started out quite small and simple in the beginning, but has progressively grown into huge and more elaborate designs.
- I have always loved reading, and devoured books when I was younger. I went through a period where I wasn’t able to read anywhere near as much as I would have liked because of school, but now that I’ve graduated and started working full-time, I’ve regained my interest. Participating in reading challenges over the past two years have really helped motivate me to read more and to try new kinds of books!