This was another prompt that I really struggled with! My mind immediately went to characters who worked very well as a couple, but that didn’t quite seem like the right fit to me. Although I think couples absolutely can be a dynamic duo, I tend to associate the term more with friends who work really well as a team. Yet for some reason, I always have a harder time remembering these kinds of dynamics. I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that the best friend character is often more of a side character, and in many cases they end up overshadowed by a love interest. My first instinct was to go for fantasy series since those tend to have a larger cast of characters, but those are very often cases where the romance takes precedence and it’s harder to remember everyone else. It’s kind of a double challenge to find books that have this kind of dynamic, and where the dynamic is strong enough to be memorable even if it’s a book I haven’t read in quite a while. Essentially, what I was looking for when picking my examples are books where the dynamics between the two characters were strong enough and memorable enough to stand out, and ideally without it being a romance between the two of them.
Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January of 2018. It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together.
1) Will Herondale and Jem Carstairs from The Infernal Devices by Cassandra Clare
2) Fred and George Weasley from the Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling
3) Q and Jamal from Early Departures by Justin A. Reynolds
4) Kate and August from the Monsters of Verity series by Victoria Schwab
5) Nimona and Ballister Blackheart from Nimona by Noelle Stevenson
6) Victor and Eli from the Villains series by V.E. Schwab
7) Roger and Dodger from Middlegame by Seanan McGuire
8) Bryce and Danika from House of Earth and Blood by Sarah J. Maas
9) Nina and Inej from Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo
10) Cinder and Iko from The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer
Fred and George have popped up on a few lists this week! 🙂
My post: https://lydiaschoch.com/top-ten-tuesday-dynamic-duos/
Cinder and Iko is a great pair!